Friday, September 12, 2014

Evening visitor

Northern walking stick
Another sign of fall appeared on the outside wall of my cabin last evening, a northern walking stick. Mid-September is when they mate, so it’s not surprising to find them out and about now. They have the best camoflauge of just about anything. I had to enhance the photo a bit just so it wouldn't blend into the background. This one was perhaps 2 inches long.

I haven’t been able to decide if this one is a male or a female. The males tend to be dark brown and the females a kind of brownish green. I’m leaning towards this one being a female, but it’s neither as brown nor as green as some I’ve seen, so I might be wrong. The females are a bit larger, too, and as walking sticks go, this one was in the mid-range, so that didn’t help either.

The oak forest that surrounds my cabin is perfect habitat for them. Oaks are their preferred food source. Walking sticks are mostly nocturnal, which is how I came to find this one when I took the dogs for a final outing of the day. As a side-note, I am still getting used to the lessened hours of daylight. During mid-summer darkness meant it was time to begin to get ready for bed. Without thinking, I automatically did that earlier this week and then discovered it was still only 8:30 p.m.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Lots of nature blogs are featuring walking sticks right now, and I wondered why. You explained it perfectly; thank you!

Walking sticks are herbivores, huh? I had always assumed they were insectivores because of their similarity to mantids, but I suppose that similarity is outward only. I learned something new today; thank you again!

Pablo said...

News flash: 8:30 p.m. IS bedtime!