Friday, October 10, 2014

Bringing in the hay

Mt. Airy Rd., Monaghan Township, York County, Pennsylvania
On a grey and chill morning, some 12 hours before a day-long rain, a local farmer readies a load of hay to get it to the barn ahead of the storm. I hope I won’t have to light my fireplace this weekend, but I won’t be surprised if I succumb to the dampness and do it anyway. Early October is rather soon in this area to be thinking about using heat. 

In winter, I keep the cabin cool by most people’s standards. I am happy if I wake in the morning and the temperature isn’t below 60.  Partly I just don’t like the expense associated with heating in the winter, but almost as important, I am not comfortable with huge temperature changes going from the inside to the outside or vice versa.  I don’t cool the cabin very much in the summer for the same reasons.  But the dampness can get to me, just as humidity can in the summer.
So, while I will resist if possible, I may also give in—even if the leaves are still on the trees, and many of them are still green.

2 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

Yeah, that damp cold can get to you. Enjoy a fire if you want one!

Scott said...

I had to turn the heat on in the house when it got down to 61 degrees. Kali would have forced me to do it if I hadn't taken the initiative but, to tell the truth, I was cold, too.