Monday, July 20, 2015

Hot, hot, hot


Summer’s heat and humidity is making up for lost time.  After a cool and rainy June and early July, the weather is now hotter and more humid than the hottest day of August.  I mind the humidity at least as much as the heat. To me it feels as though I am breathing water and that’s not a good feeling. So I only venture outside when needed or in the early and later part of the day.

I have finished constructing a new chicken pen, and “the girls” spent their first night in it last evening. A few of them were very confused and kept trying to enter the old pen, but eventually they all figured it out.  My broody hen is still firmly plopped atop her eggs.  Not all of the eggs are actually hers, but if she wants to brood eggs laid by her sisters, I have no objection.  It will be another 10-11 days before her incubation period is complete.  I hope I get a few chicks from her, and I hope they aren’t all roosters, though I would be happy with one new rooster. Doodle, my current rooster, is now an elderly gentleman and can’t have more than another winter or maybe two in him.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Hot and miserable here, too, of course, Carolyn. You're a better woman than I, Gunga-Din; I've got a lot of yard work to do and gutters that are sprouting gardens to clean out, but I just couldn't make myself go outside and exert yesterday. Yet, you finished your new chicken pen.

Carolyn H said...

Scott: Sunday was the worst. Yikes, that was terrible here. I have a lot of outside work to do, too. Not sure when that will get done.